Breakfast cereals offer a cheap and convenient way to feed your child. Parents with a busy schedule find them particularly handy. Breakfast cereals have been around for quite long although they did not take over the breakfast table till the 1950s. Finding Healthy Cereals for Kids can be a little challenging. Many of the popular brands are full of processed grains, have high sugar content, synthetic minerals or vitamins and may even contain artificial coloring. In this article, we have reviewed 10 of the best healthy cereals that you can find around. The article also includes a buyer’s guide to help you choose the right product at all times. However, the comparison table below is a quick guide to pick the best cereals to grow a healthy kids.
Best Healthy Cereals for Kids Comparison Table
Reviews Of Best 10 Healthy Cereals for Kids
1. Quaker Chewy Granola Bars: Best Chocolate Chips for Kids
The Quaker Chewy Granola Bars are made from 100% whole grains and real chocolate. This product contains 25% less sugar compared to regular Quaker Chewy Granola Bars. Each pack contains 22 chocolate chips, 14 peanut butter chocolate chips, cookies, and cream.
It contains no artificial colors or preservatives and has a great natural taste. It contains no artificial ingredients which make it a wholesome and healthy option for kids and the entire family.
2. Diabetic Kitchen Cinnamon: Best Cereals for Kids with Diabetic
This special granola cereal adds variety to your child’s breakfast menu. However, it can be eaten by anyone no matter the diet you are on.
It is suitable for diabetic, low carb, or keto diet patients. Asides being a great breakfast cereal, this cereal can be eaten as an all-day snack or dessert.
It can be eaten cold or hot and can be served with heavy cream or almond milk. It helps in managing blood sugar and contains no artificial ingredients, which make it a healthy breakfast meal.
The only possible downside for this cereal is that it is a bit expensive but you can be sure of optimum value for your money.
3. Post Great Cranberry Almond: Best Whole Grain Cereal
Add a berry spin to your breakfast with this whole-grain cereal from Post. It is made from real fruits, nuts and also, wholesome ingredients.
For a healthy breakfast rich in fibers and low on fructose, this cereal is one of the best options to consider.
The Cranberry is a heart-healthy meal as it has a low saturated fat content. On the cons side, some users say this product is not as crunchy as they want it to be.
4. McCann’s Irish: Best Healthy Oatmeal for Kids
McCann is one of the top oatmeal brands. The company has been in business for over 150 years in making top quality Irish oatmeal like this one.
This traditional steel-cut oatmeal has a uniquely rich texture and nutty flavor that your kids will love. It is made from 100% whole grains and is cut into small pieces that are easy to eat and digest for young children and adults.
It comes in a resalable can which makes storage of this product quite easy. Note that this product is long cooking, but it is worth the wait.
5. HighKey Keto Snacks: Best Protein Breakfast Cereal
If you want a breakfast cereal that is an excellent source of protein, then this breakfast cereal from Highkey snack is a top product to consider.
Not only does it have a delicious taste, but it also fuels the body with much-needed nutrients. This cereal is suitable as a breakfast classic and can be eaten post-workout, a midday snack, or as an evening snack.
It is quite satisfying, nourishing and can potentially help you achieve your weight loss goals quite easily. This cereal is highly shelf-stable. It contains dairy protein which may be a concern for some people.
6. Post-Grape-Nuts: Best Low Fat Breakfast Cereal
This Post Grape-Nuts breakfast cereal is made with wholesome ingredients and is highly heart healthy. It supplies the daily recommended serving of whole grain and serves as a low-fat cereal supplying essential minerals and vitamins for the body.
This breakfast cereal can be taken cold or hot depending on your kid’s preference. It is a low-fat breakfast and free from artificial colors and flavors.
Some users say this product is a little too hard, but this shouldn’t be a problem if you leave it to soak in milk or water for a while.
7. Poop Like A Champion Highest fiber cereal
More than just a breakfast cereal that fills you, Poop like a Champion breakfast cereal contains a high percentage of both soluble and insoluble fiber.
This makes it a perfect choice for the overall digestive health of your kid. Its unique composition helps to improve digestive function.
It is also beneficial for those who are on a weight loss diet and helps to reduce bloating as well. However, if you are looking for a non-GMO product, this breakfast cereal isn’t one.
8. Kellogg’s Frosted: Best Flakes Breakfast Cereal
Whether you are eating this breakfast cereal wet or dry, it is quite enjoyable. Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Breakfast Cereal has a sweet natural flavor and a crunchy taste with just enough sugar to start the day for your kids.
In addition to its great taste, it is also rich in a variety of essential nutrients supplying the body with much-needed nourishment.
It supplies up to 7 essential nutrients and contains no artificial flavor or colors for a perfectly wholesome breakfast. It is quite pricey, although you can be sure you are getting value for your money.
9. Low Karb: Keto Nut Granola Healthy Breakfast Cereal
This low card breakfast cereal is a favorite for many homes thanks to its sweet taste, unique flavor, and wholesome composition. You will also love the fact that it is quite easy to make.
You can enjoy the cereal right out of the bag or serve hot with heavy cream, almond milk, or any other recipe you love.
This delicious breakfast is quite healthy as well. It has very low carb content and is considered as a keto-friendly meal. However, some users find it more chewy than crunchy.
10. Annie’s Organic: Best Gluten-Free Cinnabunnies Cereal
The Cinnabunnies Cinnamon Cereal from Annie’s is a high-quality organic breakfast cereal. If what you want is a healthy, organic breakfast treat for your kid, then this is the product for you.
It is made from whole grains, chickpea flour, and other wholesome ingredients. Asides being tasty and healthy, this cereal comes in fun bunny shapes that will make mealtime more fun for your kid.
What Are Benefits of Cereals for Kids?
It is common knowledge that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In many places, the commonest breakfast menu item is cereals. Here are some of the potential benefits of serving your kids cereals for breakfast:
- Energy: Cereals are considered one of the greatest sources of instant energy for humans. Most cereals are known to supply as much as 30% of the total recommended calorie intake in a regular diet. Hence, they are highly recommended if you need an inexpensive meal hat will deliver instant energy for your family.
- Essential nutrients: Almost all of the Healthy Cereals for Kids are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins A, B12, B6, and D. They contain nutrients that are vital for the day-to-day functioning of the body. Some of the nutrients contained in cereal are those that children and even adults commonly miss.
- Health benefits: Asides being high in some nutrients, healthy cereals for kids offer some unique health benefits as well. They are commonly low in sugar and sodium. They also supply very low cholesterol to the body, thus helping to maintain health and prevent conditions like heart diseases, diabetes, and obesity, and so on.
Types of Cereals for Kids
There are several types of Breakfast cereals. But they are broadly divided into five categories. They include:
- Hot Cereals: These are cereals that are best served or eaten hot. They are typically made with processed wholesome ingredients and they can be either unsweetened or sugary. Unsweetened cereals are generally considered to be healthier since sugar is substituted for healthier ingredients like fruits and honey.
- Whole grain cereals: Whole grain cereals are considered a healthier form of cereals compared to other non-grain varieties. They are rich in minerals and vitamins that are vital for normal body functioning.
- Bran cereal: This category of cereals are rich in insolvable fiber. Hence, they are more filling and they last longer than other types of cereal. The high fiber content also means they aid digestion and prevent constipation.
- Sugary cereal: As the name implies, sugary cereals are rich in sugar. They are very sweet, and more contain large amounts of preservatives and additives. Hence, they are not so healthy for kids.
- Organic cereal: Is a term that is used to describe cereals made from ingredients that are grown without artificial fertilizers, pesticides, or genetically modified ingredients. Hence they are considered, natural and very healthy cereal for kids.
How to Choose the Best Cereals for Kids?
Despite how they are advertised, not all cereals offer the same health benefits for kids. This is why it is important to know the most important things to look out for to choose the best cereals for your kids. Here are some of the major factors to consider.
1. Choose whole grains
Experts recommend that you go for cereals that are rich in whole grain. Whole grains offer several benefits including reducing the risk of heart diseases and diabetes. It may also help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer and for maintaining weight loss. Hence, you should look out for the “whole” keyword on the list of ingredients before you make a purchase.
2. High fiber cereals are recommended
Not all cereals are rich in fiber. But this is a healthy ingredient that should be part of your breakfast meal. Fiber is known to help with the digestive system.
Cereals that are rich in fiber are also known to lower blood glucose levels. Another major advantage of fiber is that it helps control appetite and maintain a healthy weight since it will help your kid feel full, thus limiting how much he/she eats.
3. Low sugar is better
When choosing cereals, go for those with no added sugar at all. You can sweeten the cereal yourself while preparing it. However, if your kid will prefer sweetened cereals, you can go for cereals with fresh or frozen dried fruit flavor, or buy cinnamon or vanilla-flavored cereals. You may also buy sweetened cereals but with very low sugar content.
4. Go for low fat and low sodium cereals
Generally, you should go for breakfast cereals with as low as 3g of fat or less per serving. Plain cereals generally have less fat compared to granola-type cereals with nuts in them. Hence they are more recommended as far as the fat content is concerned. Similarly, you should avoid cereals with high sodium content. Generally, you want a product with as low as 360mg of sodium or a lot less per serving.
5. Check the serving size
This is one of the most important considerations in choosing cereals. The serving size of cereals
varies largely from one type to the other. Cereals with dense bran will have a smaller serving size compared to light cereals. Compare the serving size to the nutritional facts provided to ensure that you are getting the optimum nourishment.
Breakfast cereals are easy to make and are a great way to start the day. Since the different types and brands of cereals available offer different health benefits, flavor and taste, knowing how to choose the right one are important. You must make your choice carefully if you are buying breakfast cereals for kids. You can choose from any of the reviewed products above (from the best healthy cereal for kids list) and follow our buyer’s guide to make the perfect healthy choice for your kids.